Every parent is encouraged to volunteer to enrich the school experience for their student.
Any person interested in participating in a school’s volunteer program, including continuing volunteers, LAUSD employees, community members and interns, must complete the online volunteer application. A volunteer can access the online registration process and application at https://volunteerapp.lausd.net.
- Select “I am a LAUSD parent/guardian” or “I am a LAUSD community member.”
- Click on “Register for a LAUSD Parent/Guardian Account.” Once on the LAUSD Parent/Guardian Account registration site, a prospective volunteer will be required to enter their name and a valid email account. Prospective volunteers will receive an email to complete the registration process, including the creation of an account password.
Online Application Submission
Once the application is complete, the application must be printed and submitted to the school along with the Signed Volunteer Commitment Form and Tuberculosis Test Clearance. The school must review (ensure required fields are completed).
SUBMIT TO THE MAIN OFFICE
- Online application, printed and signed
- Signed Volunteer Commitment Form
- Tuberculosis test clearance
- Megan’s Law
- Fingerprinting (when applicable) – SEE BELOW
Volunteers must update their online application at the beginning of each school year. Continuing volunteers may reapply to serve as volunteers for the next school year. A new volunteer identification badge will be issued each school year.
Please go to Topeka’s Main Office for additional details on how to become a volunteer and receive an official LAUSD Volunteer Badge.
HEALTH CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS
Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
Volunteers must submit clearance of TB prior to starting volunteer service. Clearance for TB is valid for up to 60 days prior to service for new volunteers and period of up to four (4) years for continuing volunteers.
All prospective volunteers are required to have the TB Risk Assessment Questionnaire administered by a licensed health care provider. If there are no risk factors identified, a Certificate of Completion is provided by the health care provider for clearance; and the prospective volunteer must submit a copy of this to the school or office.
Continuing volunteers with TB clearance must repeat the TB clearance certification every four (4) years.
For additional questions regarding TB requirements for LAUSD volunteer applicants, contact LAUSD Nursing Services at (213) 202-7580.
SAFETY/SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS
Megan’s Law/Sex Offender Clearance
Any volunteer applicant whose name appears on the Megan’s Law online database is prohibited from serving as a District office volunteer and as an on campus school volunteer in any capacity for any length of time, including for one-time activities.
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) / Department of Justice (DOJ) Fingerprinting Clearance
Volunteer applicants need to be fingerprinted only once during their volunteer service. LAUSD adheres to the California State statutes pertaining to supervised volunteerism in public schools. Fingerprinting clearance by the FBI and the DOJ is required for the following persons:
- Persons providing direct instruction to students regardless of the number of hours engaged in such activity, even if supervised by a certificated employee
- Persons volunteering in any school for more than 16 hours per week, regardless of supervision
- Persons volunteering for less than 16 hours per week under general supervision and whose duties require significant contact with students, as determined by the school principal, including the following: SAFETY VALET, Breakfast in the Classroom, General individual or group support volunteer, Volunteer reading to students in the classroom on a regular basis
Fingerprinting must be conducted through LAUSD. Fingerprinting for parent volunteers is available by appointment at various District locations. Once your application is submitted, someone from the Topeka Main Office will make a fingerprint appointment for you. Applicants are required to present a Social Security number and a State of California driver’s license or identification card. Money orders or cashier’s checks made out to LAUSD are the only accepted form of payment. The fingerprinting fee is currently $56.00. Neither LAUSD nor the school pays this cost. Our Nearest approved LAUSD location is: 6505 Zelzah Ave. Reseda CA 91335 (818) 654-1600.
FAQ’S: (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS)
Q. Do I need to do a Volunteer Application if I am going on a field trip? A. Yes
Q. I’m just volunteering occasionally in the classroom, do I still need to do an application and get fingerprinted? A. Yes, if you have direct contact with children. Please check with your child’s teacher to find in what capacity you will be needed in the classroom.
Q. My child is having a party and I’d like to go, do I need to fill out an application? A. No
Q. I am only able to volunteer for a Single Event, what do I do? A. Fill out the Single Event Form, get checked against CA Megan’s Law, and must have Principal’s approval at least a week in advance.